The following FAQs are focused more on using education benefits at OSU and certification related to those benefits. Click here if you can’t find what you need below and to access more FAQs for military-connected students at OSU.

Q: With Commencement being postponed, how do I get my Veterans cords?

A: Commencement has been postponed until a later date. If you would like cords and are veteran or service member, please email [email protected]. The normal process is that cord distribution occurs at the Grad Fair to those who are planning to participate in the ceremony. After the Grad Fair up to the day before Commencement, eligible students can retrieve them by coming to the Office of the Registrar if they were unable to pick them up at the Grad Fair.

Q: I am applying for Oregon National Guard State Tuition Assistance. Can I use this type of assistance along with my VA education benefits?

A: Yes, you are permitted to use state tuition assistance along with your federal VA education benefits or federal military tuition assistance. If you are using Chapter 33 benefits, be aware that your state tuition assistance will be deducted from the tuition/fees certified to the VA (just as federal tuition assistance is deducted).

Q: Does OSU have any tuition programs for military-connected students?

A: Yes. Learn more about in-state residency for service members and scroll down on that same page to learn about the federal Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act. You can learn about state tuition programs here.

Q: I am being deployed and will not be able to complete the term. What are my options?

A: Learn more about military deployment accommodations here. We also recommend submitting a copy of your orders to the VA and Military Benefit Certifying Team at [email protected].

Q: Am I supposed to provide my Joint Services Transcript to get transfer credit from the military?

A: Yes, you are expected to submit your Joint Services Transcript to the Admissions department if you will use VA education benefits. Learn more about obtaining military experience credit here.

Q: If I use federal Military Tuition Assistance (TA) benefits or VA Education benefits, does it matter if I fail my courses?

A: In the end, the VA and/or the military branch determines if it will pay or not pay for your courses. We know that the VA will not pay for “U” grades so it is important to pass your class if you select the S/U grade mode. For tuition assistance, OSU is required to return some TA funds if you withdraw from your course or stop attending and earn an “F” before the 60% mark. At the end of each term, the VA Military Certifying Team reports all grades to the military branches for students using TA benefits. For students using VA education benefits, we report all withdrawals and “U” grades to the VA.

Q: I am thinking of doing a study abroad program and would like to use my VA education benefits to help cover the costs. Will the VA help cover study abroad?

A: Study abroad coverage depends on your chapter, your major at OSU, and the type of study abroad program you seek. In general, the VA will pay your benefits as if you are enrolled in on-campus courses. They may pay additional fees specific to the study abroad program if the program is required for your degree. VA will not pay for any costs related to travel or any third party charges; this means that third party provider programs are not covered by the VA. Keep in mind that study abroad experiences often have course dates that do not follow the regular OSU academic calendar and some programs are measured in semester hours instead of quarter hours; these factors can have an effect on your housing allowance. If you plan on using VA education benefits to study abroad, please notify the VA Military Certifying Team as soon as possible by emailing [email protected].

Q: Will the VA help me pay for a tutor?

A: Tutorial assistance may be paid if you are using Chapters 30, 33, 35, and 1606 to help you pay for necessary tutoring. The maximum pay is $1200 (monthly maximum of $100) and is in addition to your regular monthly education benefits. To request tutorial assistance, work with your instructor to obtain a letter stating you are deficient in your course competency and need to access tutoring and forward that letter to [email protected]. The VA Military Certifying Team can help you find an approved tutor.  You, your tutor and the School Certifying Official (SCO) will complete an Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance.  The application must be signed and dated on or after the date of the last tutoring session, and submitted to the VA at the end of each month or combination of months.

Q: I have been placed on Academic Warning. Will I lose my VA education benefits?

A: At the end of each term, the VA Military Certifying Team will notify you if you are on academic warning or academic probation and will share a list of resources with you to help you to improve your academic standing. The VA Military Certifying Team is also required to report students on academic probation and academic suspension to the VA. Suspended students cannot continue to enroll at OSU and cannot use their benefits. Learn more about academic progress standards for veteran students at OSU.

Q: Can I use VA education benefits as a non-degree student?

A: Non-degree students can be certified for VA education benefits up to two terms as a non-degree student as long as they are pending admission to a degree program at OSU and are taking courses that apply directly to that degree program.

Q: What happens if I successfully petition the ARC to drop a course after the drop deadline? Will my VA education benefits be affected?

A: If you are approved for a late drop by the ARC, the course is removed from your transcript, your charges for the course are reversed, and the VA Military Certifying Team will adjust your certification to the VA to reflect the new amount of credits and the date the late drop was approved. The reduction in course load may affect your housing allowance, if you receive one. If your petition included documentation of mitigating circumstances, the VA Military Certifying Team will report the mitigating circumstances to the VA, as well. If you received VA education benefits and plan to petition the ARC, we recommend emailing [email protected] to learn more about how your petition may affect your certification of benefits.

Q: What is WAVE? How do I know if I need to use it?

A: WAVE stands for Web Automated Verification of Enrollment and is a system used to verify your attendance each month. Monthly verification is required of students receiving Chapter 30 and 1606 benefits. This verification is done by you and not by the VA Military Certifying Team.

Q: Can I take classes at another school (to transfer back to OSU) and still use my VA education benefits?

A: Yes, you can. Any time you wish to take a class at another school that will transfer back to OSU and fulfill a degree requirement, you will want to complete the Parent School Letter. You might want to learn more about the Degree Partnership Program at OSU, as well.

Q: If I repeat a course, will the VA pay for my second (or third) attempt?

A: The VA will pay for repeated courses as long as you have not yet met the minimum grade required for that course in your degree program. For example, if you have taken a required course twice and earned a “D” each time, and the minimum grade is a “C,” then the VA will pay for you to take the course again so that you can reach the minimum grade required for your degree. The VA will not pay for you to repeat a course simply because you wish to earn a better grade.

Q: I need to take some time off from OSU. Can I do a leave of absence?

A: Undergraduate students may consider utilizing the Planned Educational Leave Program. If your leave from OSU is due to deployment or military training, you do not have to pay the $25 and are not limited to one PELP. Graduate students may consider taking a leave of absence after consulting with their academic program or graduate school.

Q: My VA tuition payment will not arrive until the middle of the term. Does that mean my federal financial aid money will be used to cover my tuition? Or will I be able to access my financial aid award for other education expenses such as books, housing, supplies, etc.?

A: Chapter 33 students with a financial aid package of $1000 or greater automatically have a portion of their expected VA payment advanced to their OSU account before the term begins. This advance of expected VA funds helps to trigger the disbursement of their financial aid award. Once the term has begun, the advance is reversed so that the VA payment, once it arrives, can accurately reconcile the tuition/fee charges it covers.

Q: Does OSU allow veterans to register early?

A: Oregon State University offers priority registration to students using veterans' educational benefits and veterans and military members who submit appropriate documentation. More information can be found on the Veterans Priority Registration web page.

Q: Does OSU participate in the Yellow Ribbon program?

A: Yes! If you are assessed non-resident tuition at OSU and receive Chapter 33 benefits at the 100% rate, you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program. Yellow Ribbon is available to off-set the difference between non-resident and resident tuition only and  is not applied to summer term courses or E-campus courses because students are not charged non-resident tuition for these courses. For more information, please visit the United States Department of Veterans Affairs Yellow Ribbon webpage.

To apply to receive the Yellow Ribbon benefit, you will need to email [email protected] to verify your eligibility. OSU has agreed to award $3,000.00 per academic year to undergraduate students and $4500.00 per academic year to graduate students. The VA will provide matching funds.

In some cases, nonresident students may benefit more from certain tuition programs instead of using the Yellow Ribbon program. Learn more about in-state residency for service members and scroll down on that same page to learn about the federal Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act. You can learn about state tuition programs here.

Q: I have VA education benefits. Should I also apply for financial aid?

A: We do recommend that all students complete the FAFSA to see if they qualify for federal financial aid funding. In some cases, VA payments can be delayed and having a financial aid award at the start of the term makes it easier to obtain needed books and supplies. Click here to learn more about financial aid at OSU.