Change of Grading Basis

Students may elect to change a course that is graded under a normal grading basis (A–F) to a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading basis (S/U). A grade of S or U has no grade point equivalent and is not used in the GPA calculation.

Required Approvals

Baccalaureate degree seeking students must obtain college head advisor approval prior to changing the grading basis of a course. Graduate students are not required to obtain any approvals.


The election to switch to S/U grading (or to return to A–F grading) must be made no later than the end of the seventh week of the term as stated in the academic calendar. The request form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than 5 p.m. on Friday of the seventh week. During summer term, refer to the deadline dates as noted on the Summer Session website.


Review Academic regulation 18 carefully to familiarize yourself with the rules related to S/U grading.

Request form

To request that the grading basis of a course be changed to S/U (or from S/U back to A–F) you must submit a completed Change of Grading Basis request form to the Office of the Registrar by the stated deadline.