Students who are on Academic Probation and have a subsequent term GPA below 2.0 will be placed on Academic Suspension.
If you were placed on academic suspension and plan to return, there are three ways you can request reinstatement.
1. Request for Reinstatement by 24 credits of transferable college level coursework at an accredited institution with a GPA of 2.5 or above.
2. Request for Reinstatement by two year absence.
3. File a Petition for Exception to OSU Reinstatement Regulations for review by the Academic Standing Committee.
Regardless of the option you choose to pursue for reinstatement, please contact your academic advisor to discuss options.
For two-year absence or 24 credits of transferable college-level coursework with a 2.5 GPA
Complete and submit the Request for Reinstatement to the Office of the Registrar
Please allow 5-7 business days for processing
Clear all Holds
Check on Academic Colleges and/or Majors GPA requirements
The Academic Standing Committee (ASC) reviews petitions for students on academic suspension for exception to OSU’s reinstatement rules (Academic Regulation 22). In order to petition for reinstatement, you must complete a Petition for Exception to OSU Reinstatement Regulations packet. The petition packet must include the following:
1. Petition form signed by the College Head Advisor
2. Academic Performance Agreement (see petition) completed with your academic advisor and signed by the College Head Advisor
3. Personal statement describing the extenuating circumstances that led to academic suspension and that describes the actions you will take to ensure your future academic success, and/or how any interfering circumstances have been resolved
4. Documentation to support reasons for academic difficulty
5. Letter of support from the College Head Advisor or your academic advisor
See the ASC Meeting Schedule below for petition filing deadlines.
|Reinstatement for Spring Term 2023 – Classes Begin: April 3, 2023|
Petition Filing Deadline
Due to the Office of the Registrar: 10:00 AM
Academic Standing Committee Meeting Date
Time: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
|Tuesday, March 7, 2023||Wednesday, March 8, 2023|
|Thursday, March 23, 2023||Friday, March 24, 2023|
|Friday, March 31, 2023||Monday, April 3, 2023|
|Monday, April 3, 2023||Tuesday, April 4, 2023|
Reinstated to Probation Status
Students who are approved for reinstatement will be placed on Academic Probation status and must achieve a minimum 2.0 GPA for the term to be eligible for continued enrollment at OSU.
Raise Your GPA
To return to good standing status after reinstatement, students must raise their term and OSU cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher.
It can be advantageous for students to keep assigned letter grades of C or higher to achieve a term GPA of 2.0 or above.
Students who only take Pass/No Credit (P/N) or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grades will need to earn at least 50% of the credits as P and/or S. Failure to do so will result in Academic Suspension because the term GPA was not 2.0 or higher.
With a 0.0 GPA and all N or U grades, there is no academic standing to calculate for the current term and a lack of demonstration of academic improvement; therefore, it defaults to the previous term’s standing or the academic standing calculation protocol.
Contact your academic advisor prior to opting for P/N or S/U grade options. For information on Academic Standing, visit the Grades, Honor Roll, & Academic Standing page.