Access for Persons with Disabilities

Students with disabilities who need help with Office of the Registrar’s services offered through MyOregonState or Online Services should contact the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar and Disability Access Services will make arrangements for classes in accessible locations. To obtain this publication in alternative formats, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

Auditing Courses (seniors 65 and over)

Audit registration permits a student to enroll in a course for no credit and no grade. Course requirements for an audited course will be determined by the course instructor. Audit registration is available to degree-seeking and nondegree-seeking students. The audit registration period runs Monday through Friday of the second full week of classes. See the Academic Calendar for the Audit Registration period.

Students wanting to audit a course must bring a completed Audit Registration form with the instructor’s permission to the Office of the Registrar for registration. Audit registration is not done online.

Audit courses are assessed instructional fees at the same rate as credit courses. Any changes to an audit registration are subject to the same procedures, deadlines, and special fees as registration changes to regular courses. Upon completion of an audited course, the designation of “AUD” will be recorded on the transcript. The designation of “WAU” will be recorded on the transcript for students who withdraw from an audited course.

Changing Grading Options (S/U, A–F)

All courses registered online are given the A–F or P/N grade option as appropriate. Any changes of the A–F option (to S/U) are done in person at the Office of the Registrar’ after completing the appropriate forms. The deadline for these changes is the end of the 7th week of classes.

Classification Standing

Freshman 1–44

Sophomore 45–89

Junior 90–134

Senior 135 and more

Closed or Cancelled Courses

When you register online, classes that are closed or cancelled will be noted in the “Look-Up Classes to Add” results. We encourage you to have a few alternate courses or sections in mind so that you can complete your registration, or you may try online registration again at a later time (before the term) to add the closed class.

Course Restrictions

Enrollment in some courses is restricted by class or major or college or level or alpha sections. If you do not satisfy the course restrictions,

Online registration will explain the reason you did not receive the course selected. Generally speaking, departmental requirements on course restrictions are firm. However, if you think your registration merits an exception, please contact the course departmental office.

Departmental Approval of Registration for Courses

Some courses require departmental approval. Contact the appropriate department or school to obtain approval prior to registering. The department or school will not register you for the class, but will electronically authorize you to register for the course. You will then need to register for the course on your own.


Students with registration holds will not be permitted to register until holds are cleared. Registrants are informed of holds and are referred to appropriate departments and offices.

Late Registration and Fees

A late registration fee will be assessed for all initial registrations beginning the first day of classes of a term according to the OSU Academic Calendar

Lectures/Labs/Recitations/Studios (Multi-Part Courses)

If a course lecture is “linked” to a noncredit laboratory or recitation or studio, you must register for all parts of the course at the same time. Online registration will not permit you to register for one part without the other. Likewise, you may not drop only one part of a “linked” course; if you do so, the other part will be dropped automatically. If you want to change one part of a multi-part course, you should drop the part and add a new part at the same time before processing your requested changes.

Major and Minor Changes or Declarations

Undergraduate students see the academic advisor or advising office responsible for the major/minor; the advising staff will submit a change of academic program through our online process. If you decide to change your major/minor after the add/drop deadline, the change will normally take effect for the next academic term.

Graduate students who wish to change their academic program should consult the Graduate School Office’s change of degree/major procedures.

It is essential for students to keep their major and minor information current.

Maximum Credit Loads

Undergraduates may register online for up to 19 credits and graduates up to 16 credits. Additional credits may be added, within the guidelines of the academic regulations, by completing an extra credits petition.

Open Courses, Open Sections

Available classes can be found by using the “Look-Up Classes to Add” feature of online registration. Open and current-to-the-minute section availability also can be checked through the Schedule of Classes.


Prerequisites are required courses that provide the background necessary for successful performance in a course.

  • The university uses an automated check of students’ records—including transfer work—at the time of registration to determine whether students have successfully completed the prerequisites for certain courses.
  • The Schedule of Classes lists prerequisites in the “Restrictions” section, where all registration restrictions for the class can be found. You must meet all restrictions that the department has placed on the course.
  • Prerequisite checking applies to all students regardless of their level, class rank, or college.
  • You will be permitted to register only if you have satisfactorily completed or are currently enrolled in the prerequisites for that course. Satisfactory completion may be:
    • D– grade or higher, or an S or P grade.
    • Accepted transfer work that is considered equivalent to the prerequisite course.
    • Some chemistry, mathematics, and foreign language courses require a placement test.
    • Test score in the prerequisite.
  • Prerequisites will be enforced after grades are processed and students can be dis-enrolled for not meeting the prerequisites.

If you have not completed and are not registered for the prerequisite, then you will receive a prerequisite error message when you try to register. You may ask the department offering the course to consider giving you an override for it, which will allow you to register for the course without having first met the prerequisites. If the department declines to give you an override, then you must take the prerequisite in order to register for this course.

Registration Cancellation/Withdrawal from the Term

Your act of registering constitutes your commitment to attend Oregon State University. As a university student, you are both academically and financially responsible for all classes in which you register.

If you want to cancel this commitment and reduce or eliminate tuition charges for the term, you must officially cancel your registration or withdraw from the term. Failure to pay tuition or to attend classes does not constitute official withdrawal. Students who simply stop attending classes are financially liable for all charges, and may also receive grades of U, N, or F depending on departmental policy.

Registration Confirmation

You may confirm your schedule and print a copy of your schedule by logging in to MyOregonState, select the Academics tab and under Resources, click on ‘View Your Class SChedule in Detail.’

IMPORTANT: Course offerings, course times and locations, and other important information related to courses may change. The Schedule of Classes is continually updated and should be referred to for the most accurate information.

Registration and Schedule Changes Before Classes Begin

Online registration generally is available 24 hours a day and you may register or change your schedule at any time after the priority registration schedule and before the first day of classes.

Schedule Changes After Classes Begin

Use the “Register/Add/Drop Classes” of MyOregonState, select Academics, then under Resources, click on Register/Add/Drop Classes.

Second Week Add Procedure

  1. Contact the department offering the course you want to add.
  2. If the department grants you permission, register for the course online.
  3. Type the CRN into the box below the courses for which you currently are registered, and hit the submit button.

Time Conflicts

Online registration will not permit you to schedule two on-campus classes that meet at the same time. If, however, you want to schedule two time-conflicting courses, you will need to obtain an override from the instructors and departments for each affected course. If approved, the departments will electronically authorize you to register for the courses.

Transfer of Academic Colleges

If you wish to transfer from one OSU college to another, please do so prior to registration. Meet with an advisor in the college you would like to transfer to. Approvals are required.

Transfer Work

If you have transfer credits that you have not yet submitted to OSU, you need to submit official transcripts to the Admissions Office at least four weeks prior to registration opening. Transfer credits are included in your earned credits used in part to determine your priority registration time.

Variable Credit Courses

If a course is taught for variable credits, for example, 1 to 16 credits, online registration will prompt you to enter the correct number of credits for which you wish to enroll. If you need to change that number later, you may do so online during the add period for the term.

Withdrawal from the Term

Beginning with the first day of the term to Friday of Dead Week, you may withdraw from the term by completing the online withdrawal survey available through the Office of the Registrar’s website. Students may withdraw from the term for any reason prior to the beginning of finals week. See Academic Regulation 13 for details. See the Tuition/Fee Reduction and Refund Schedule in the Fees and Fee Payment section for information on the financial implications of withdrawing from the term.

Summer Term Withdrawal

Students may withdraw from any courses during Summer term provided they meet the appropriate session deadline to withdraw posted in the Summer Session website. Summer Session students do not need to complete a Withdrawal Survey.

  1. Login to MyOregonState
  2. Click on the Academics tab
  3. Under Resources, click Register/Add/Drop Classes
  4. Select the term, enter your PIN number, click Submit
  5. Select the course you want to withdraw from in the drop-down box
  6. Click the Submit button at the bottom of the page. The page will reload
  7. Scroll to the bottom to verify that you have withdrawn from the course. The course status column will show “Withdrawn” and the date of the transaction

A student who remains enrolled in a course(s) after the Last Day to Withdraw deadline for a session is responsible for completing the course(s) in that session and is not eligible for a term withdrawal for the Summer term. A student who has dropped/withdrawn from all Summer session courses in accordance with posted deadlines will be considered as having withdrawn from the term. Term withdrawal processing will be completed by the Office of the Registrar at the conclusion of the Summer term.

  • Withdrawals resulting from a term withdrawal (as defined in Academic Regulation 13) do not count in the undergraduate 12-class withdrawal limit specified in Academic Regulation 12.
  • Withdrawal from the term does not disqualify you from registering for the next term. If you have any questions, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Undergraduate Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP)

Students may find that a planned interruption or pause in their regular, full-time education is needed. PELP is designed to enhance the prospect of successful completion of an academic program by allowing a student to arrange a voluntary absence that temporarily suspends their academic work for a period of time. For detailed information please refer to Academic Regulation 13.