Q: When is the last point at which an incomplete grade can be resolved by the student?

A: Typically, it is within a time period established by the instructor. If the instructor has not established a deadline, then the student has until the last day of Dead Week, before finals begin, to submit the required work to the faculty one year after the term in which the student received the incomplete grade. For example, if a student received an “I/Alternate Grade” in Fall 2013 without any specified deadline by the instructor, they have until the last day of Dead Week of Fall 2014 to turn in the completed work to the instructor and remove the “Incomplete”. The instructor has until the Office of the Registrar's deadline for final grades submission to submit the grade the student earned.

Q: What happens if the instructor is no longer at the institution a year after the “I/Alternate Grade” was recorded?

A: The student should meet with the chair of the department that offered the course to reinstate the expectations of what needs to be completed and by what date for the incomplete to reflect the earned grade for that course.

Q: What if the student requests an “I/Alternate Grade” but also intends on graduating that very same term?

A: The student should know whether the Alternate/Default Grade will impact their ability to graduate that same term; if a student has questions about this, they should connect with their academic advisor. When an undergraduate student has an incomplete grade and is in the graduation pool, the student will receive a notice from the Office of the Registrar about resolving the grade. After the incomplete has been resolved , the student will be considered for graduation.

Q: What if the student has been advanced to the graduation pool, final grades have been processed for the term the student wished to graduate, and the “I/Alternate Grade” defaults to a grade that does affect their graduation status. Can the student request the Alternate Grade revert back to an incomplete?

A: No. Academic Regulation 17 specifically states: “Under no circumstances shall a student who earns an A-F grade or an N or U grade have their grade changed retroactively to an I grade.” Students need to pay careful attention to “I/Alternate Grades” that are clearly displayed on all unofficial (and official) transcripts  MyOregonState. If the student suspects or is informed by an academic advisor or the Office of the Registrar that the “I/Alternate Grade” will negatively impact their ability to graduate, they should talk with their academic advisor and the department that issued the I/Alternate Grade.

Q: What if an instructor does not turn in their grades on time, will the instructor still be able to submit an “I/Alternate Grade for the student?

A: Yes. While 99.7% of all grades are turned in by the required deadline for each term, if the instructor misses the cutoff for turning in grades the Office of the Registrar will be able to process these late grades (including the “I/Alternate Grade”) and ensure they are correctly attributed to the students affected.

Q: Does Academic Regulation 17 apply only to undergraduate students, or are other student populations similarly affected?

A: All students are held to the same grading systems. Academic Regulation 17 applies equally to undergraduates, postbaccalaureates, graduate, non-degree seeking students, etc.

Q: What is recorded on unofficial and official transcripts?

A: Students will see the incomplete and the alternate grade (i.e., I/A, I/A-…I/F, I/P, I/N, etc.) in the grade field. However, until the incomplete is resolved, it will retain all of the same characteristics of an incomplete grade. In other words, the incomplete will not count in credits earned or in a student’s institutional GPA until the incomplete is resolved or defaults to the Alternate Grade.

Q: If a student selected a grading option of Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U), will the instructor assign an “I/S” or “I/U” during the submittal of the grades for that term the incomplete was requested?

A: No. Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade options are converted after the “I/Alternate Grade” is determined and submitted by the instructor. For example, if the student has requested an incomplete and has opted for an S/U grade, the instructor will submit an “I/Normal Grade” (i.e., I/B+) at the end of the term. The Office of the Registrar will subsequently convert the “I/Normal Grade” to an “I/S” or “I/U” in accordance with the grading option chosen by the student.

Q: What happens if a course had received an “I/Alternate Grade” the first time the course was taken, but the student retakes the course for a grade?

A: According to Academic Regulation 20 (Repeated Courses), both courses would appear on the student’s academic record (transcript), but only the second grade would be counted in the cumulative GPA and toward graduation requirements. Even if the “I/Alternate Grade” were to subsequently default to the Alternate Grade, the second taking of the course would be the one that counts.

Q: What happens if a student’s academic progress in a given term is interrupted by an emergency situation (serious illness, accident, or death of a family member)? Can the student request incompletes for all his/her courses?

A: Yes. After revising Academic Regulation 17, the Faculty Senate also approved a revision to Academic Regulation 13c that allows the student to withdraw within the last four weeks of the term with incompletes in all subjects. The student (or family member), however, must submit evidence of the emergency situation to the Registrar for consideration. The Office of the Registrar is then charged with contacting each instructor for each course the student is still enrolled for that term. If the instructor decides that the incomplete is appropriate, the I/alternate grade will be recorded for the course; if the incomplete is not appropriate, a W will be recorded for the course.

Q: Can a student petition for an extension to resolve the incomplete in excess of the one year?

A: Possibly. The instructor must be willing to provide an extension. However, if the instructor does not agree to extend the timeline, it is unlikely anyone else would supersede that decision. If the instructor is willing to extend the timeline, the student can complete the Petition Extension of Time to Remove Incomplete Grade. The petition requires the signatures of the course instructor and department chair, and potentially, the approval of the Academic Requirements Committee to gain approval of the extension.

Q: Who can the student talk with if there are specific questions regarding Academic Regulation 17?

A: The students are encouraged to ask questions of their departmental or college advisors and/or to contact the Office of the Registrar. Students are encouraged to call 541-737-4331, e-mail (registrars@oregonstate.edu), or visit B102 Kerr Administration Building.