Your academic program encompasses the degree, major, minor, certificate, and any options you are pursuing in your studies at OSU. For those pursuing standalone certificates at OSU, please see FAQs here. Use the general catalog, advising resources, and MyDegrees to track your program requirements and to make decisions about making changes to your program.

How do I change my major?

Undergraduate students see the academic advisor or advising office responsible for the major; the advising staff will submit a change of academic program through our online process. If you decide to change your major after the add/drop deadline, the change will normally take effect for the next academic term.

Graduate students who wish to change their academic program should consult the Graduate School Office’s change of degree/major procedures.


Academic advising is invaluable to the successful completion of your education goals. Your academic advisor is there to provide guidance in regards to course selection, degree requirements, academic success strategies, career plans, and integration to the campus culture. Each academic college has developed an advising structure that facilitates the needs of their programs and students. However, all colleges recommend that you:

  1. Meet with your advisor once per term.
  2. Keep your PIN in a safe place.
  3. Take responsibility for learning your degree requirements.

You may contact the college head advisor for more information about the advising resources and requirements of your program. Contact information for individual departments is available online under the subject area contacts heading.

Academic Catalog

Check out the academic catalog for information regarding admission requirements, degree requirements, available programs, academic regulations, policies, academic calendars, and much more. Familiarize yourself with the catalog in general, while paying particular attention to your program requirements and the academic regulations.

Standalone Certificates

For information on standalone certificates, please see this page.